Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Too Much Can Be A Bad Thing

  After my doctor explained that I'm measuring bigger than should be, she said it could be due to being farther alone than thought, having a large baby, or too much amniotic fluid.  Well, the first two reasons are pretty self-explanatory, but I didn't know much about too much fluid.  Hence, I did a little research today....
   Not the greatest findings.  Too much amniotic fluid is also called hydramnios or polyhydramnios. The good news is that it's not something that could be prevented by doing anything differently throughout the course of my pregnancy (so it's not my fault, whew!).  And doctors don't really know the causes, but they think a few are:
  • Maternal Diabetes
  • Carrying Twins or Multiples
  • Fetal Abnormalities
  • Fetal Anemia
So I know I don't have the first or second ones, but who knows about the last two common causes.  But if I were to be diagnosed with this then it can require/cause more ultrasounds/monitoring, stress tests, preterm labor, cord prolapse, increased postpartum bleeding, or placental abruption. :-(  Most times it is naturally fixed before birth by mother's body, but it can also be corrected by a procedure that removes excess amniotic fluid.
  According to BabyCenteryour healthcare practitioner may suspect this problem, which happens in about 1 percent of pregnancies, if your uterus is growing more rapidly than it should. You may also have unusual abdominal discomfort, increased back pain, shortness of breath, and extreme swelling in your feet and ankles. If you have these symptoms, your practitioner will send you for an ultrasoundI DO have all those symptoms, so I'm assuming I will end up having another ultrasound soon.  However, I'm not too worried about all this because if it was really dangerous or alarming, I think my doctor would have rushed into action.  She didn't seem worried, so I am trying not to be either.

  

2 comments:

  1. Sweetie, don't worry yourself about it yet! Those symptoms can be normal late pregnancy symptoms as well. It's possible that Baby Holm was just stretching out. I had to have an ultrasound around 30 weeks because I was measuring ahead...turns out C was just a VERY long baby. Love you and eager to hear what the doc says! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! Glad to hear it's more common than I thought. I should find out this Monday what's going on :-)

    ReplyDelete